Thursday, January 10, 2008

More Late Night Fun

No, not that kind of fun! When I got home from work yesterday, Pete said that Audrey had been really fussy and sleepy all day. He gave her some Tylenol, which helped a little bit, but when I got home, she was laying on him with red ringed eyes. I picked her up and the poor thing was on fire. I took her temperature - 103.8!

We gave her some more Tylenol, put her in a cool bath and headed down to the Urgent Care Clinic. Grandma H met us there because Daddy was at work - they had an overnight study to do.

The nurse practitioner looked in her ears and said one looked like an infection was starting, but it wasn't bad enough to cause the high fever. She wanted to take a urine sample to rule out a urinary tract infection. Audrey took one look at the tube headed for her and peed all over the exam table. Luckily they were able to catch some and she got to bypass the catheter.

That came back with a little bit of bacteria, but not enough to cause the high fever. So, she sends in Tyrone, the biggest man I've ever seen with even bigger hands, to take blood from Audrey's tiny arm. One blown vain and two sparkly band-aids later, the blood work comes back perfect.

So, basically she gave us an antibiotic for the not-so-bad ear infection and not-so-bad UTI and said to go to our doctor Friday if the fever doesn't break. Needless to say, I'm pretty annoyed at the lack of a real diagnosis, but hopefully the antibiotics will help. I'm kind of looking forward to having the tubes in her ears to curb some of these late night clinic trips!

Naturally, she didn't sleep well and neither did I, but she hasn't had any Tylenol since 2 am and seems to be feeling better already. I put her in her crib 30 minutes ago to take a nap and she's still up there talking to her puppy. Keep your fingers cross that we get some sleep at some point!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

We are crossing our fingers that you all get some sleep tonight. Hope she feels better soon!