Thursday, August 16, 2007

Tuesday and Wednesday

On Tuesday, Andy didn't feel like going back to Acadia, so we just drove around Mount Desert Island (the island that Bar Harbor is on). We stopped at various areas to take pictures, then decided to go to the Acadia Zoo, which advertised that it had a moose. Andy figured if we paid to see a moose, we'd be guaranteed to see one in the wild.

Acadia Zoo is a wildlife center kind of like Bear Hollow, for those of you from Athens. We walked in and there were llamas, monkeys and big cats, then a roped off area. The guide told us that we had to wait for a tour to go back and see the other animals. He gets a group together and tells us that we can't make loud noises or any other noises at the animals and that we can't run because it will make the animals nervous. We have a three year old in our group, so I knew we were going to have a good time! So, we go behind the roped area and there are deer, a coyote, two wolves, two bears, three moose, some more llamas and some donkeys. The dorky tour guide was nervously watching everyone, making sure no one broke the rules - he even walked backwards so he could keep his eye on everyone.

When we got to the moose exhibit, the bull moose was in this little cabin, so we couldn't see him very well, and the mom and baby moose were pretty far away, so I couldn't get a good picture of them. Two exhibits later, I look back to see the mom and baby by the fence, so I walk over to get a picture. I got yelled at by the guide for going about 20 feet away from the group!! I still stood there and got my stinkin' picture! He about had a heart attack when the three year old ran past the coyote cage - "Can you guys see how he's making the coyote nervous?" No, but I can see that you are!



At sunset, we went to the sand bar that gives Bar Harbor it's name. At low tide, it's wide enough to walk or even drive across if you wanted to. I guess there is just some trails at the island that it goes to - we never made it that far. We did get some good shots of the island though.


We got up on Wednesday and head back towards the airport. We stopped in Freeport for a bathroom break and little did I know, but Freeport is the home of L.L. Bean! They had three stores - a two story hunting/camping store, a two story ski/snow store and a 4 story clothing store. Andy was in heaven! He bought Audrey her own fly fishing vest, plus some other stuff for her and him.


If anyone is thinking of going to Maine, I would recommend Freeport over Bar Harbor just because the shopping is better! I suppose you could do both because they are only about 3 hours apart, but Bar Harbor is full of touristy souveneir shops and Freeport had a big outlet area with North Face, Gap, Patagonia, etc.

While we were driving down the highway, we were both keeping an eye out on the side of the road for a moose, although neither one of us expected to see one. The highway is lined with lots of trees and we came upon this big open field. What do we see right in the middle of the field, staring at us? A huge bull moose! It was like we were meant to see him standing in this random open field. We were so excited that we got off at the next exit and turned around so we could see him again! I tried to take a picture, but the stupid camera shut off right when we got to him, plus he had moved closer to some brush so you probably wouldn't have been able to see him anyway. We also saw a turkey and some woodchucks, but they weren't as cool as the moose.
We accomplished everything we wanted to - we saw a humpback whale, a moose in the wild, and Andy ate a whole lobster! :)

We made it home with no drama thankfully! We really appreciate the grandparents for keeping Audrey and Steph and Alex dropping us off and picking us up. We owe you guys one! I thought Audrey would be clingy and just over the moon to see me when she woke up this morning, but it was just like any other morning to her. I did get a really pissy look when I turned on the light in her room!
Here are the rest of the pictures, which will be labeled as soon as I get around to labeling the others.

No comments: