The one year check up did not go so well. Health wise she's fine (aside from her usual double ear infection, but more on that later), but she SCREAMED from the moment the nurse took her height measurements (which is the first thing she does) until we walked out the door.
Her blood and urine tests came back perfect and she's 20 lbs, 14 oz (50%) and 30 1/4 inches (75-90%). When the doctor checked her ears, they were both infected this time. As she whipped out her prescription pad to give us another antibiotic, I asked when we get to a point where we consider tubes. I really don't want to go that route, but I don't want the poor kid to have hearing problems from all of the damage to her ears.
The doc said not until she's had one a month for three months. I told her that we've had more than that, so she looked and Audrey has had 5 ear infections in 3 months! So, I got my referral for an ENT to see if they recommend getting tubes.
Then, the doctor inadvertantly made me feel bad because she pointed out that the ear infection problem started right about when Audrey started going to daycare. The constant snotty nose has lead to the fluid in the ears, which hasn't been draining properly and getting infected. So, now I feel even worse about putting her daycare. Ugh!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hayden had an ear infection every month for about seven months before we decided to have tubes put in. Yes, he's in daycare. And, yes, he is often sick because of said daycare. However, if kids aren't exposed to these germs and illnesses now, they're going to get them when they start preschool or kindergarten--there's no escape! Nick and I were very wary about the whole idea of surgery for Hayden, but the procedure took 15 minutes from the time that the nurse took him away to the time that the ENT doc came to tell us that everything went fine. Hayden was super cranky coming out of the anesthesia, but he calmed right down when he nursed (I don't know if you're nursing, but a bottle or other treat would probably help, too).
The tubes did not cure his ear infections completely, but he has had a lot fewer since they were put in. Treating the ear infections, however, is infinitely easier with the tubes in. All we have to do is put drops in his ears--no more antibiotics! For what it's worth, we're extremely happy with the tubes, and they haven't bothered Hayden at all.
Good luck!
Thanks Dana - that makes me feel a little better!
Post a Comment