Thursday, December 13, 2007

Gone To The Dogs


Everyone who has known me before Audrey knows that my dogs were my babies back then. I used to send out photos of them (this blog would probably be all about cute things that Roscoe did) and spoil them rotten. They have a fenced in back yard, a doggie door into a basement with dog beds, a futon, a fan and cable TV. They live better than a lot of humans do!
I never though I'd be one of those people who would reduce their dogs to secondary family members after having a baby, but I have.
They weren't too bad when Audrey was little bitty. It was annoying when they would scratch at the door while I was in the middle of nursing, but other than that, they were pretty good. Then, Audrey starting eating finger foods and moving around. The poor kid can't have a snack in the living room because she has to fight off two dogs and if I leave the room during meal time, they are up on her tray finishing off her dinner. I have a new rule that when Audrey or I are eating dinner, the dogs have to go outside. I never would have thought that I'd do that to them!
Now that she is walking and getting into everything, she requires even more attention, which means that the dogs are getting even less. This means that they are acting up for attention. Roscoe runs around with baby toys in his mouth, Hazel licks the sippy cup spouts, etc, etc. Tonight, while I was giving Audrey her bath, I heard Roscoe knocking something off of the counter. It was just a Kroger bag full of stuff that I needed to bring upstairs. Nothing was broken but the bag was ripped up. Then I hear him knocking stuff off the counter while I'm reading Audrey her bedtime books.
He knocked down and ate 36 iced sugar cookies!! And there was orange icing all over the kitchen floor! I went to a cookie party on Monday night and brought home a bunch of cookies, but for some reason Andy felt the need to buy a 48 pack of sugar cookies at BJs on Tuesday. Instead of putting them in the cookie jar, he left them on the island. Roscoe has a pretty far reach for having such short legs!
So, now whenever I am doing anything that requires full attention on Audrey, the poor dogs have to be thrown outside. Ugh!
In Audrey news, she has graduated from formula to whole milk. We ran out of Similac on Sunday and figured since she turns one on Friday, it would be okay just to switch her over to milk. She is doing fine with it although she refuses to drink it out of a sippy cup. She drinks juice and water out of cups fine, but will not drink her milk out of them. So much for packing up the bottles soon!
She also has a cold and has not been sleeping well. She is so congested that she can't really breathe when she's lying down, so I slept with her in her chair on Sunday night, Andy took Tuesday night and I was in her Lazy Boy all last night. She played pretty hard with the twins today and went to bed without a fight, so I'm hoping that she's so tired that she'll sleep through the night okay.
I can't believe she turns one tomorrow! I've taken a picture of her every month and am going to attempt putting them in a slideshow on her site, so be sure to check back tomorrow!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Happy birthday, Miss Audrey! Love, Emma