Thursday, May 20, 2010

Missing Wingnut

Our oldest cat, Wingnut, went missing last Thursday.  We both last remember seeing her sometime Thursday morning and that night, I checked for her three times before going to bed and she never came to the door.  We had some evening storms on Friday and typically when she is outside during a storm, she finds a place to hide and comes back home as soon as the rain stops, but sadly, it is a week later and we still haven't seen her.

We've noticed that she has been getting a little thinner and slower lately, plus she was having problems jumping up and down from the beds and kitchen island, so I am hoping that she simply curled up under a bush and went to sleep.  Realistically though, I know that there are coyotes around...

We had some storms on Saturday night also and when I went to the door to call Avalanche, Audrey came up behind me and started calling for Wingnut. At first, Andy told her that Wingnut was on a trip, but once it was clear that she wasn't returning, we told her that Wingnut isn't coming home.  I don't think she quite gets it, which is fine by me!  She either says "Wingnut is on a trip.  She'll be back soon." or "Wingnut is not coming back." Wingnut was her favorite cat because she was the only one who would let Audrey carry her around the house.  Audrey's favorite thing to do was hold Wingnut under the front arms and have her feet walk like a person.  That was one patient cat!

Wingnut, we will miss your cute petite little face with your quiet mew.  You were an awesome huntress.  Andy's favorite stories are when you chased down a dove in flight and when you ran about six feet up a brick wall to catch a grasshopper.   Thank you for amusing Audrey by letting her carry you around.  I hope you are somewhere enjoying Doritos, Pounce treats and head scratches.

No comments: